Friday, April 29, 2011

Fourteenth. The Twilight Samurai by Yoji Yamada (2002)

The Twilight Samurai (2002)
Director: Yoji Yamada



A quiet samurai film that was film during the modern times. The Twilight Samurai is a film which I realised I had fallen in love with after the credits had finished rolling. I sat there, looking at the blank screen on my laptop and there was a strange, really strange feeling in my heart. It was a moving film where Yamada took his time to build up before the film's climax towards the end of the film. Somehow, I did not want to deliberate my feelings and comments after watching it because the feeling might disappear.

How did Hiroyuki Sanada play the role of Seibei Iguchi so well? It was so real and so sincere. His dilemma in accepting the orders of his clan and his happiness when Tomoe visits to play with his daughters. He does not smile nor tries to talk to Tomoe when she visits, yet his little gestures like gazing over them with a gentle look, I'd knew he had so much feelings for her! It was really sweet when he finally confesses his feelings to her knowing that he may not return alive. I must say that Yamada did a brilliant job in resurrecting the 1700s during the era of the samurai in Japan. During the fight with Yogo, the scene brought me into the realm of samural, where such things do happen during that period of time. It was so exciting, that might be because in my mind I really hoped that I would not see Seibei die. Seibei Iguchi's simple character had so much depth and understanding. It were as if he only existed in a fantasy world and that this kind of charisma cannot be found. I admire him.

Not even my blog entry, nor good reviews of the film will do The Twilight Samurai any justice. One has to watch it and truly experience Yamada's version of a samurai to fall in love with it. I am glad I did (:

[1] The Twilight Samurai by Collin Souter. Retrieved on 28 April 2011 from http://efilmcritic.com/review.php?movie=8211
[2] The Twilight Samurai (Film Review) by Nicholas Rucka. Retrieved on 28 April 2011 from http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/twilsamu.shtml
[3] The Twilight Samurai. Retrieved on 28 April 2011 from http://www.asianmovieweb.com/en/reviews/the_twilight_samurai.htm
[4] The Twilight Samurai (2002) FILM REVIEW; He's a Meek Bookkeeper, but Don't Get Him Riled. Retrieved on 28 April 2011 from http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9C07E7DC143AF930A15757C0A9629C8B63

No comments:

Post a Comment