Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Sixth. Forever Fever by Glen Goei (1998)

Forever Fever (1998)
Director: Glen Goei

Forever Fever was a good refreshing film for me during this revision period. After watching all the previous films that touch on deep impactful societal issues and with so many problems, this film was definitely a breather for me. Forever Fever brings out light humour through the actions of its character but with something extra - the Singaporean touch. Adrian Pang portrays Ah Hock as a normal guy with aspirations (to have a motorbike). It kind of allowed me to reminiscence the past during the 1990s when I was a teenager. I found this enjoyable because I really miss those days in my childhood where things were not as worrisome as the current era. Nobody talked much about global warming, workers riots or labour rights. But this was probably cause I was young and ignorant that these things didn't even bother me at all. Yet this image has been pushed further and further back into my mind where everything just felt like it was a dream.

Even so, the film is not as simple as it seemed. The issue on sex change and transvestite, which was a taboo topic during that time, was brought out and addressed. The film may not be as melodramatic as other films but I just felt that the director was trying to lift the mood and let his audience know that, 'Hey, maybe the problem is not as bad as it seems...' which I really appreciate it because nowadays Singaporeans are getting so 'kan chiong' (frustrated and panicky) about the smallest things.

If only everyone would just chill, step back, look at the big picture and deal with it with an open mind.

On the bright side, being curious how similar Forever Fever draws itself to Saturday Night Fever by John Badham (1977), I decided to investigate the characters of both movie. From John Travolta to Adrian Pang...



Well, it seems like the costume and the actions of both characters are quite similar. The only difference was the expression on John Travolta's and Adrian Pang's face. While Travolta was trying to portray the cool and 'hot' kind of expression, Pang just had to have a wide smile. I guess that is justifiable because during the show when he tried to look very serious and 'cool', I burst out laughing at Pang's expression. However, there's just another added element which is the reason why I loved Ah Hock in the movie. That is...



The epic Bruce Lee kick... in disco?


I hoped when Forever Fever came out during that time, disco dancers in Singapore didn't follow Ah Hock to do a Bruce Lee kick on the dance floor.

I really had a good laugh. Thanks to Glen Goei and Adrian Pang.


[1] Forever Fever by Adele Tan. Retrieved on 25 April 2011 from http://inkpot.com/film/foreverfever.html
[2] Forever Fever Review by Calvin McMillin. Retrieved on 25 April 2011 from http://www.lovehkfilm.com/panasia/forever_fever.htm
[3] Film Review: Forever Fever - That's the way I like it by Celeste Heither. Retrieved on 25 April 2011 from http://www.thingsasian.com/stories-photos/3509
[4] Forever Fever: Movie Review by Harvey Karten. Retrieved on 25 April 2011 from http://celebritywonder.ugo.com/movie/1999_Forever_Fever_harvey_karten.html

No comments:

Post a Comment