Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Fourth. To Live by Zhang Yimou (1994)

To Live
Director: Zhang Yimou

Through Zhang's films, I can see that he really wants to convey traditions and virtues of the past. Yet as I reflect on this film, it is not exactly very sad. But I felt that at the point if I were to ever have my husband left me alone for so many years or watch my children die, I really would not know what to do or how to live on after that. It is a kind of thing that, maybe while watching the movie, this thought would have never come to your mind. However, at the same time, I felt that the director was trying to educate us and let us know how his characters pull through the various ordeals faced in life.

As I compared the current generation with those times in the movie, where it was during the Revolutionary War, communist movement by Mao Ze Dong, the times have really improved and gotten much better (just like what Fugui always tells his son and grandson). In fact, I find it very ironic. During the times where there were war and many activists movements, people really worked hard to live and survive. Life was valued as the most important thing. No matter how poor or how people seem to be at trapped in a certain alley of their lives, they still had to live on.

Yet in the society nowadays, everyone have a comfortable living with good living environment, water, food, entertainment and luxury products, we are often unhappy with what we have. It is saddening to hear that some people end their lives for relationship problems that are not worthwhile, or stress due to work and study. Some are more concerned about their social status than anything else. And more often than not, sometimes I am guilty of it too, that we neglect how people who care about us would feel if we hurt them through irresponsible actions.

It is easy to give up and die, but it is so hard to live.

Life has got to go on.


[1] Zhang Yimou by Mary Farquhaar, Senses of Cinema; Retrieved on 23 April 2011 from http://www.sensesofcinema.com/2002/great-directors/zhang/
[2] The Exquisite Muse of Zhang Yimou by Stu Kobak; Retrieved on 23 April 2011 from http://www.filmsondisc.com/features/zhang/zhang.htm
[3] Huozhe (1994), A Review by Damian Cannon; Retrieved on 23 April 2011 from http://www.film.u-net.com/Movies/Reviews/To_Live.html

No comments:

Post a Comment