Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Thirtieth. Sepet by Yasmin Ahmad (2004)

Sepet (2004)
Director: Yasmin Ahmad

As my close reading assignment was on Gubra, another film by Yasmin Ahmad, which was also a sequel to Sepet. I believe after watching Sepet, it helped me understand Gubra more in terms of why Orked never tried to salvage her relationship with her husband when he cheated on her.

My favourite part of the movie is actually when Orked and Jason first met at the pirated CD store.


Love at first sight



Who is this angel that landed on earth?



Oh man... she's really an angel.



Bye, my angel


You can see from Jason's expression that he was lovestruck on first sight. Haha.. Personally I felt that Sepet is actually nicer than Gubra because it is quite cheerful at the start and always the first stages of a relationship is sort of the best, that is, the chase. And towards the end of the film there was a really dark side of the film where it was not expected that Jason would die in a traffic accident. However, I felt that Yasmin Ahmad's play of controversial roles in terms of cross-culture relationship and crossing religious boundaries was better in Gubra because of its second story, which was about a Malay prostitute Temah and even the sequel became more dark. In Gubra, it taught me that in life, separation is a also a kind of solution. In Sepet, it taught me the meaning of loving for the sake of love.

[1] Sepet: Beyond a Malaysian Love Story. Retrieved from http://www.ximnet.com.my/thelab/comments/comments.asp?id=53
[2] Sepet: A Malaysian Movie. Retrieved from http://www.infernalramblings.com/articles/Entertainment/291/
[3] Yasmin Ahmad's Films by Amir Muhammad: Sepet (Book)
[4] Sepet, Review. Retrieved from http://shafiqiskandar.wordpress.com/sepet-film-review/

No comments:

Post a Comment