Monday, May 2, 2011

Twenty-third. Betelnut Beauty by Lin Cheng Seng (2001)

Betelnut Beauty (2001)
Director: Lin Cheng Seng

To be frank, I did not like this film at all. I felt that the romance of the betelnut beauty and the protagonist was at a very shallow point of view. If there were any other hidden meanings in this film, I may not have understood it. I could not find an explanation in the reviews either. However, this film may bring the attention of the Taiwanese culture as betelnut beauties are often seen in Taiwan. It kind of exposes me to the different cultures and perhaps into the gangster realm. Additionally, I did not like the erotica elements within this film, partly because I felt a little weird watching it. It was not my usual cup of tea and it is still not a nice cup of tea to me. haha

The expression I gave after watching this film was

:/

[1] Betelnut Beauty by Wong Lung Hsiang. Retrieved on 1 May 2011 from http://www.filmsasia.net/gpage139.html
[2] Betelnut Beauty (2001). Retrieved on 1 May 2011 from http://www.timeout.com/film/reviews/67673/betelnut_beauty.html

No comments:

Post a Comment