Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Thirty-fifth. The Leap Years by Jean Yeo (2008)

The Leap Years (2008)
Director: Jean Yeo



The story starts off with the main lead actress asking the lead actor out, on the 29th of April, on the day where man are not supposed to reject any invitation from woman based on an Irish tradition. I don’t know if the tradition is real but I find this tradition rather interesting. While watching, I attempt to put myself in the same situation and think about what I will do. The very act of a woman asking a man out is something I will not picture myself doing, though I can imagine quite a number of more open-minded women nowadays will do so just like the main lead actress. I see this as an act of woman gaining access to power and to be in control. Being a female, that is why there is a part of me within that actually approve of this tradition.

In addition, I am not a believer of long-distance relationship and not to say only being able to meet once every four years. I guess what occurs in the movie is true love? In general, I find the movie rather interesting and sentimental.



[1] The Leap Years. Retrieved from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0470420/usercomments
[2] The Leap Years: Review. Retrieved from http://createlevoyage.com/backstage/visualarts/2008/05/film-leap-years-by-mediacorp-raintree.html

No comments:

Post a Comment